11 January 2010

Delusions of Grande


You can't perceive without receive. And you can't receive without vice. And you can't vice without ice. And you can't... why do I suddenly want ice cream?

Pardon my cranial drifting. I don't really edit/revise these blog posts, as you may be able to tell. As a result, maybe I come across as scatterbrained or pleasantly conversational, perhaps confused or perhaps genius. Who knows what you think of me as you read my blog (thanks, by the way, especially to those of you who have commented to give me some insight)? And that brings us to this post's topic: perception.

A lot of the gainerverse exists solely online, a land of people who will never talk to another resident, who will never put up a picture or at least won't show their faces, which is fine, as there's a balance between "lurkers" and folks who treat gaining sites like any social networking site, replete with candid snapshots and notes on the latest movies seen, sometimes to the point of oversharing (I'm sorry you wet the bed until you were 28, but I'm not sure your profile is quite the right forum for that). We get to choose how "out" we are, how much of ourselves we want to reveal, based on what we're comfortable with, and there's room for everybody. What we can't control is how the images and words we put out are translated by those stumbling upon them.

Probably my favorite aspect of the online gainerverse is the validation it brings that I'm not in this alone. I might be crazy, but not for my interest in gaining. There. Are. Others. I can't know whether guys out there think I'm funny, ugly, nice, snobby, hot, dumb, or have tragically poor taste in shower curtains, but but just by existing, the online gainerverse is a supportive network of semi-likeminded fellows, which makes me feel good. Even if it's not directed at me specifically, seeing a guy who's put on an obvious inch get sincere kudos -why do I suddenly want Kudos?- makes me feel better about my endeavors; this is a place where we won't be shunned but rather applauded for a rather bizarre pursuit. Going through a drought? Encouragement that things will turn around is just around the photo comment. Sometimes because I can tend to surround myself in the gainerverse at home nestled snugly between my four walls, I forget that it's not the real world. Which is not to see that there isn't an offline gainerverse- events like Expansion and successful couplings from our midst tell the tale- but the rest of the world is not quite so supportive as this safe(is) cocoon we've created in cyberspace.

Sometimes I worry I've read one too many gainer stories when I notice a "conventionally" attractive fellow and figure he'll likely be into my less-than-trim self, just like in that one story (you know, the one with the guy and the other guy and the eating and the weight gain and that moment when the chubster is comforted by the hottie with the six-pack and piercing eyes gently placing his hand on fatboy's belly and whispering in his ear how hot it's been watching him plump up like he has and said hottie wants to continue the efforts overtly as they skip off to the Baskin Robbins hand in pudgy hand with eyes newly twinkling in both parties). I'm not exactly massive*, but I'm big enough that I can't get away with "put on a few" anymore and from spending so much time in the virtual company of my fellow gainers and encouragers sometimes I forget that not every guy out there is into a big-boned gentleman. For the record, I'm not afraid of the word "fat"; I am genuinely big-boned and have never been able to wrap my thumb and forefinger around my wrist. So there. I've been fortunate never to have been dismissed with a sneer or rude comment, but my occasional forays into smiling at a cute boy on the subway have been met with... nothing. Like I wasn't even there. Side note: I still don't know how to flirt, which may also play a role... why do I suddenly want a fruit roll-up?

Do you ever forget that the world isn't waiting to fall at the invisible feet of a handsome porker? Whether it's intrinsic or they've fallen prey to society's standards male beauty (clearly, this is all Men's Health's fault!), the average guy who likes guys likes guys who aren't fat guys which I like being. Do I find this discouraging? Sometimes. But then I remember there's always a limited pool of who will be into someone. Blond hair, brown eyes, glasses, argyle, hairy backs, mustaches, lacks of mustaches, and an affinity for Velveeta could all be dealbreakers to some guys out there. But they could also be huge draws to others, so while I know that the entire world isn't living in the gainerverse, I know there are enough residents I can't scare off EVERY guy. Just a chunk of them. In a way, it's almost helpful. To the fit encourager solely into fatties and fatties-to-be, fellow fit-and-staying-that-way guys expressing interest might be flattering but frustrating (that's about as deep into the mind of an encourager I'll attempt to go for the time being) whereas I'm much more likely to draw a friend of the chub now than when I was waffling about whether or not to gain... and why do I suddenly want... nah, I already had breakfast. But if a nice boy into my personal brand of chubosity has mixed plaid with polka dots, I have an appointment the day he wants to take me on a date. Why do I suddenly want a nice heap of fiber-rich dried dates? That's right, I don't.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Phil,

    I have to say I rather enjoy your random thoughts. They actually make a lot of sense and echo many thoughts I've had about the whole "gainerverse". It's nice to see this side of you. I enjoyed meeting you at Expansion and hope we can meet again. And for the record, I do find you extremely hot. And you get bonus points for being interesting too!

    Billy D from beefyfrat (aka bigdawg)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Phil, me again (bigdawg). Sorry about the link from my name - used my old myspace ID lol. This post has the new one if you want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true... and i also have a hard time flirting both online and in real life lol.
    But anywhoooo i agree that some people do feel very comfidant with there online persona... some will gain others just like the idea or the thrill of it.
    As a feeder I do wish every guy i see i could fatten but alas it'll never be so, but who knows evan i might find my "Mr. Right". Also i have gotten both sides of the "hot or not meter" online i was once called Vain for wanting to be a fit feeder and other times i've had guys straight up tell me they stuff themselves to my picture (i'm not sure how i feel about that one) and i've had guys who are good friends or just 100% not interested in talking to me.

    Kudos on the blog post, Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going with genius.
    Beefgut220

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm... Velveeta. Why'd they have to make it sound like 'feet?' I mean, isn't it enough that they make it smell like feet? That's gilding the lily, in my book. Sorry. Were you saying something after you mentioned 'Velveeta?'

    Beefgut220

    ReplyDelete